'My husband was covered in it when he came home'
A TOWN mayor has told of how she would regularly shake deadly asbestos dust from her husband's overalls.
Crewe Mayor, Peggy Martin, lost her husband Bill to lung cancer last August.
Bill, aged 70, was exposed to asbestos during his time working for British Rail at Crewe Works between 1956 and 1988.
Peggy, below, a councillor who represents Crewe East on Cheshire East Council, said: "He used to come home covered in it. I used to wash his overalls and I used to see white bits all over them.
Terms: Limited Stock Offer . FREE Delivery to most UK postcodes.
Contact: 01664 491439
Valid until: Tuesday, May 28 2013
"They used to sleep on asbestos blankets. They were more or less eating it in their sandwiches."
Peggy, aged 70, of Stonely Avenue, Crewe, added: "Bill started with a bad cough in 2000. Then in 2010 they found two shadows on his lung. He had a CT scan in and the doctor sat us down and told us the bad news.
"He went blind and had all sorts of trouble. It was horrible."
Bill, a father-of-three and grandfather-of-six, had taken redundancy in 1988.
Peggy was awarded damages from Bill's former employers after pursuing a claim with Thompsons.
She added: "As the disease took hold he started to look into claiming compensation. He knew he'd been exposed to asbestos and felt strongly that more should have been done to protect workers."
Paul Finegan, Unite North West Regional secretary, said: "Mr Martin is sadly one of many of our members who developed asbestos related disease.
"He was never given any warning or any protection from the risk of the devastating effect his job would have on his health in later life."