Woman smoking in bed causes Norton Canes flat fire
A FIRST floor flat fire was caused by a woman smoking in bed, Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service has revealed.
Two crews from Cannock and one crew from Chase Terrace were called to a property on Yew Tree Close in Norton Canes at 10.40pm last night, where they found a mother and her daughter waiting outside.
The women were suffering from smoke inhalation and were treated on scene before being taken to hospital.
Station manager Neil Burton said: "The woman had been smoking in bed and must have fallen asleep.
Panasonic Store Camera•20x Optical Zoom LEICA DC Lens from 24mm...View details
What Digital camera Gold award winning DMCTZ40
SAVE £20 off our store price ONLY with this voucher
Plus you can also claim a SD card or spare battery
Choice of colours, free parking behind store
Terms: Print this voucher and hand in at Panasonic Store Hanley to save £20 off our store price ONLY £269.90
Contact: 01782 342609
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
"The cigarette set fire to the bed but luckily the woman and her daughter were able to get out before the fire progressed.
"They were both extremely lucky to escape the fire without injury or more serious harm.
“We’d urge smokers not to smoke in bed as it is incredibly dangerous and can quite easily start a fire.”
Fire fighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the flat and used one hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze.
They left the scene at 11.45pm.