Woman escapes as plug sparks blaze at home in Tunstall
WORKMEN rushed to the aid of a woman who woke up to find a blaze at her home.
The men called the fire service after noticing flames coming from the terrace property in Pinnox Street, Tunstall, at around 10.30am yesterday.
The woman ran out of the house after she noticed the fire when she went downstairs to make a cup of tea.
She escaped uninjured but her entire home is smoke-logged after the fire spread to the TV, table, chairs, carpets and windows.
Visiting the Home & Garden show this Sunday?
We will have some exclusive deals for you so make sure you visit our stand and say hello
Terms: With free entry just visit the show at the Moat House hotel Festival Park between 11am and 4pm and pick up a leaflet
Contact: 01782 342609
Valid until: Sunday, June 23 2013
An investigation by Staffordshire Fire and Rescue service discovered the fire was caused by an electrical fault after a plug socket in the living room, which had been left on overnight, was found overloaded with plugs.
Fire crews from Sandyford and Burslem tackled the fire wearing breathing apparatus and used two hose reel jets to bring it under control.
Station manager Dave Steele is now urging residents to ensure they unplug their appliances before going to bed.
He said: "The fire started in the corner of the room within the extension cables being used for the TV and other appliances. The fire then spread to the TV, table, sofa, chairs, carpets and window, and has caused quite extensive damage and the entire property is smoke logged.
"The woman had left the TV and surrounding appliances plugged in and turned on overnight.
"We urge people not to do this and we would also encourage people to check that they are not overloading extension cables, as this could potentially lead to a fire starting."
Mr Steele added: "As useful as extension cables are, they are not designed to be plugged into other extension cables and the amount of amps an extension cable is designed for should be checked before use and not exceeded.
"An electrical fire is not something that can be predicted, however it can be avoided in most circumstances simply by turning off and unplugging appliances that do not need to remain on."
Residents living in Pinnox Street said they saw smoke coming from the house.
A mother-of-two, who wished not to be named, said: "There was quite a lot of smoke but I couldn't see many flames from the outside.
"After the firefighters left I could see how much damage had been caused and it was quite a shock because the whole front of the house is black and covered in dust.
"It is just a good job the woman living there spotted it when she did because it could have been much worse."
Another resident, who also declined to be named, added: "I heard the fire engines and had a look out of the window to see what was happening.
"I saw the lady outside so I knew nobody had been hurt. It is a shame it has happened, it doesn't look like the house will be ready to live in again for a while."