Weston Coyney house fire was caused by electrical fault
A house fire in Weston Coyney which left two families homeless and two children in hospital was started by an electrical fault, fire investigators have revealed.
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service believes the fire which tore through the semi-detached houses in the early hours of Sunday morning (April 15) was started by an overloaded electrical socket.
"We would urge people to ensure they are not overloading plug sockets and advise against using multiple extension plugs with one plug socket," said station manager David Agu.
The fire spread through the roof space of two houses on Coupe Drive at around 12.40am on Sunday morning, April 15. Firefighters arrived to find nine people, including two children, waiting outside and were met with a severe blaze.
Cheap Car Insurance For Drink Drivers -Contact Insure365 01782...View details
Cheap Car Insurance For Drink Drivers -Contact Insure365 01782 898188, Free Legal Protection Included valued at £25.00
Terms: 1 Voucher Per Customer
Contact: 01782 898188
Valid until: Friday, June 21 2013
Station Manager, David Agu said: "The fire was well-developed and had gone into the roof space of the property on our arrival. It has also begun to spread into next door's house so both families were evacuated.
"The fire has damaged both properties and we believe started due to an electrical fault with either the TV or a digital box which were left on standby and plugged into multiple extension leads.
"We would urge people to ensure they are not overloading plug sockets and advise against using multiple extension plugs with one plug socket. We also encourage people to turn off electrical items when they are not in use –fully off at the plug socket, not just on standby.
"Items like fridges and freezers of course need to be left plugged in and turned on at all times however TVs, game consoles, mobile phone chargers and such should not be left plugged in and turned on or on standby."