Waste site safety fine
THE owner of a waste site has been fined after a visitor suffered serious burns when he was hit by an electrical charge.
Andrew Perry was at Fallows Recycling Services at Booths Farm, Cheadle, on September 3 last year when the extending arm of his truck touched a set of 33,000-volt electric cables overhead.
The electricity surged through the truck's metal structure and Mr Perry was thrown from the vehicle and left with burns to his arm and feet.
John Rowland Fallows, who owns the site, pleaded guilty yesterday at Newcastle Magistrates' Court to breaching Regulation 14 of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989.
Purchase this property and receive £250 towards legal fees !! New on the market with no vendor chain !
Terms: Subject to offer and terms and conditions, contact the office for further information.
Contact: 01782 940925
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
He was fined £1,600 and ordered to pay £2,214 costs.
Lynne Boulton, of the Health and Safety Executive, warned employers to be wary of operating machinery near overhead power cables.
She said: "Mr Perry was very lucky not to have lost his life.
"In this case, there were no barriers or warnings to prevent drivers visiting this site from tipping waste materials under the power lines and it was only a matter of time before an incident like this took place.
"It wouldn't have taken much effort to install barriers, as proven by the fact that Mr Fallows quickly erected barriers and warning signs."