Warning over kitchen blazes
THIRTY-SEVEN kitchen fires have broken out in Staffordshire in just six weeks.
Twelve of the fires were in Stoke-on-Trent, with five in Newcastle borough and three in the Moorlands.
Most of the fires were caused by food being cooked left unattended on cookers or in microwaves.
Fire officer Graham Mills said: "Each of these fires could have been avoided.
"The majority wouldn't have happened if the occupants had stayed in the kitchen until they had finished cooking. It doesn't take long for food to catch fire."
Smoke alarms did not operate on 12 of the fires as they were either not working or there were none fitted.
Mr Mills added: "There is no excuse for not have working smoke alarms."