Warning after children blamed for starting fire
CHILDREN are being blamed for starting a fire at a former social club.
The fire at the disused British Legion Club, in Cheddleton, was the latest blaze to hit the building in the past year.
Firefighters were called to the Beech Avenue club in the early hours of Saturday and had to force their way inside to put out the blaze.
Now fire crews have confirmed the blaze was started by arsonists.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
Firefighter Brian Griffiths said: "We urge parents to ensure that their children are educated about the dangers of playing with fire.
"We advise parents to encourage children to play in a safe and secure environment and avoid playing in empty and disused properties as these can be very dangerous places due to the poor structure and potentially unsafe gas and electricity. Fires started deliberately are unnecessary and put firefighters' lives in danger as well as taking up time that could be better used to attend a genuine emergency."
Residents are calling for the former club to be knocked down after it was set on fire for the second time in a year. People living nearby say the site is an eyesore and want it demolished.