Wanted man is held by police in Madrid
A FUGITIVE wanted by police in connection with a kidnap has been arrested in Spain.
Martin Wolstenholme, of Stoke-on-Trent, has been the subject of an international manhunt after Staffordshire Police named him as part of their investigation into the kidnap which took place in November, 2010.
Officers also took part in an appeal on TV's Crimewatch as part of their efforts to track him down.
Now Wolstenholme, aged 34, pictured below, is being transported to Madrid where a hearing will take place to extradite him back to Britain.
Panasonic Store Camera•20x Optical Zoom LEICA DC Lens from 24mm...View details
What Digital camera Gold award winning DMCTZ40
SAVE £20 off our store price ONLY with this voucher
Plus you can also claim a SD card or spare battery
Choice of colours, free parking behind store
Terms: Print this voucher and hand in at Panasonic Store Hanley to save £20 off our store price ONLY £269.90
Contact: 01782 342609
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
A spokesman for Staffordshire Police said: "We can confirm that Wolstenholme has been arrested in Spain and taken into custody.
"Liaison is ongoing with the Spanish authorities to facilitate his return to the UK so that proceedings can begin concerning his case in Staffordshire."
A spokesman for the Serious Organised Crime Agency said: "He was arrested in Malaga on a UK issued European arrest warrant for conspiracy to kidnap. He is being taken to Madrid for an extradition hearing before being returned to the UK."
A Foreign Office spokesman added: "We can confirm the arrest of a British national. We are providing consulate assistance."
Wolstenholme is accused of kidnapping 22-year-old Ali Demani, from his home in Newcastle.
Fabian Williams, aged 23, of Church Street, Silverdale, has already admitted aiding and abetting the false imprisonment of Mr Demani, who has mental health issues.
Last month, Williams was sentenced to 12 months in prison, plus a further month for a breach of a previous suspended sentence.
Sara Gajewski, who was named as Wolstenholme's ex-girlfriend during the same hearing at Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court, was also handed a three-month suspended sentence for perverting the course of justice.
It emerged that she had allowed her York Street flat in Newcastle to be used to hold Mr Demani.
The 23-year-old, who has a child with Wolstenholme, was also told to complete a 12-month supervision and a three-month curfew order.
Mr Demani had been kidnapped on November 15, 2010 and forced to contact his brother to demand cash in exchange for his safe return.
Mr Demani was released, unhurt, and without the ransom being paid at 3.30am on November 16.
When Wolstenholme is returned to the UK he is expected to be brought before North Staffordshire Magistrates' Court, for committal to Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court.