Tittensor wheelchair user left at bus stop by 'grinning' driver
ELDERLY wheelchair user Owen Nugent was left "appalled" when a bus driver refused to allow him on board.
The former soldier attempted to catch the 101 First Bus service to Tittensor from the Gatehouse Theatre in Stafford after a trip to watch a pantomime with his family.
But the driver would not lower the bus to allow the 80-year-old on board, saying that the family should walk to the bus station where he 'might' wait for them.
Mr Nugent said: "I was appalled with his attitude. He said we should walk down to the bus station which was a good 500 yards away around the corner.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
"When my son asked if he would be waiting for us, he said 'I might be' with a sardonic grin.
"He refused to lower the bus to let my son even try to help me on to the bus. We were stunned."
Mr Nugent, who was accompanied by his wife Jean and son Mark, as well as Mark's wife and daughter, said they raced to the station to try to catch up with the 101.
The former roofer relies on his wheelchair as he suffers from emphysema and struggles to walk.
He said: "We had to run to try to catch him before we left. It was very undignified.
"Of course, we arrived just in time to see the 101 disappearing around a corner.
"We had no choice but to wait another half an hour for the next bus."
The explanation offered to the family by the bus driver was that the pavement was 'too low' to allow him on board.
But the driver of the second First Bus they tried to board told the family he didn't understand why they had been left stranded.
Mr Nugent added: "I don't want the bloke to lose his job over it, but the contempt he showed for me and my family was downright disgraceful. He needs a lesson in common decency.
"I was a soldier and guarded war criminals during World War Two and I have never come across such maliciousness as that obnoxious young man showed me and my family."
First spokesman Ady Culpin said: "We apologise for any inconvenience caused through the alleged incident and we will be undertaking a full investigation into the matter."