Takeaway plan for former Castletown GP surgery thrown out
CONTROVERSIAL plans to open a takeaway have been refused by councillors who insisted there are enough fast food outlets in the area already.
Newcastle Borough Council refused plans submitted by Sritharan Shanmugaratnam, of Cross Heath News, to develop a derelict semi-detached property on the site of the former Castletown GP surgery on Liverpool Road.
Councillors feared the development would encourage inappropriate parking from customers, an over-intensification of takeaways and an increase in anti-social behaviour.
Councillor John Williams, who represents Cross Heath, said: "It is an area of poor health already and we have many more takeaways than other parts of the district.
Call WHITEGATES Today 01782 209935 ..Limited offer. Available only up on production of voucher. Sell your home for £399 plus vat.* #EPC is required to market your home not included in offer.
Terms: *Upfront payment, non-refundable in the event of property remaining unsold, being withdrawn from the market or being sold by another agent, yourself or by any other means.#EPC £62.50 plus vat.
Contact: 01782 209 935
Valid until: Thursday, July 04 2013
"All the regeneration money that has been spent in Cross Heath would be wasted if we recommended to open a takeaway in an old doctor's surgery.
"We will have wasted a lot of time as well as money."
The takeaway would have been housed in a building which is currently derelict.
And it would have created four-full time jobs in the area.
But councillor Dave Stringer said: "It is very difficult because my gut instinct is to vote against it.
"It seems that every time a building becomes vacant another takeaway springs up there.
"It is already impossible to count on two hands the number of opportunities for takeaway food on that road."
There is already an abundance of fast-food outlets on Liverpool Road, with at least six takeaways a short distance apart.
These include KFC, Flames, Perfect Pizza and Spice and Grill.
More than 25 residents had been in touch with the council to have their say on the proposal.
They warned that the proposed takeaway would add to growing traffic on Roberts Avenue and Hassam Avenue.
Dwain Warklate, aged 22, from Fletcher Bank in Cross Heath, said: "We don't need more takeaways in the area because there are already far too many.
"Something should be done with the empty building, but anything other than another takeaway."
Mark Plimmer, aged 23, a warehouse worker from Clayton, added: "I think the council decision is for the best.
"I work on this road and they certainly don't need another takeaway.
"It doesn't seem right to turn a former doctor's surgery into an unhealthy place."