Stoke City: The wait goes on for Ryan Shawcross after missing out on San Marino game
RYAN Shawcross says he's been proud to represent Stoke City in the England squad this week, even though he missed out on a first cap in last night's 5-0 win over San Marino.
The 25-year-old Stoke captain was an unused substitute for the World Cup qualifier, just as he was for his only other senior England call up, in a friendly at home to Egypt in March 2010.
However, he remains part of the England squad as they move on to Poland for Tuesday's tricky World Cup qualifier in Warsaw.
The central defender says he has loved being part of the England squad, and hopes he will do Stoke proud if he gets his chance.
Shawcross believes his call up has been thanks to Stoke's success as well as his own form since the Potters were promoted to the Premier League in 2008.
The 85,654 crowd at Wembley last night included Stoke fans, and a Potters flag was unfurled from the top tier of the stadium.
Shawcross said he would love to become the first City player to represent England since Mark Chamberlain in 1984.
He said: "The Stoke fans have been great ever since I have been at Stoke, so I would be really proud if I could hopefully represent England.
"Stoke as a team have been doing well and my form has been good this season, so I had hoped I would get in the England team, and that's what's happened.
"The other players here have been great with me. I know quite a few of them from previous squads. They have been fantastic and I have enjoyed it a lot."
England had to be patient against an initially stubborn San Marino defence before Wayne Rooney's 35th-minute penalty broke the deadlock.
Danny Welbeck added a second two minutes later before second-half goals from Rooney, Welbeck and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain gave England an ultimately comfortable victory which takes them to the top of Group H.
However, Shawcross's chances of a debut were dashed when Aaron Lennon, Jonjo Shelvey and Andy Carroll were used as England's three substitutes.
The Stoke skipper added: "Obviously I would have liked to have come on, but the main thing is that we won.
"It was always going to be difficult if we didn't score an early goal. We were always going to have to keep going, and towards the second half they started tiring and that's when we got the rest of the goals.
"I have enjoyed it. The standard has been raised with the national team, but I have fully enjoyed the week. Now it's a day off and back to it on Monday.
"Poland will be a really tough game, hopefully we can go there and get the three points that we need."
JON Walters and the rest of the Republic of Ireland team were left reeling by a superb German performance last night as they crashed 6-1 in Dublin.
The Stoke striker had been handed a lone role up front for the Irish, but seldom got a look-in as Germany ran riot at the Aviva Stadium.
Largely starved of service, Walters saw one first-half effort go narrowly wide, but otherwise was a peripheral figure.
Marco Reus and Toni Kroos both scored twice for the Germans.