Stoke City: Marc Wilson ready to replace Robert Huth at centre-half after violent conduct charge
MARC Wilson is ready to replace Robert Huth at centre-half following the German's impending three-match ban for violent conduct.
Huth will miss Stoke's games against West Ham, Newcastle and West Brom after landing a forearm in Fulham defender Philipps Senderos' face at the weekend.
He was charged retrospectively by the Football Association after referee Lee Probert missed the incident at the time.
Stoke were poised not to appeal the charge today because the weight of evidence against Huth would have probably landed him with an extra one-match ban for a frivolous appeal.
Huth's absence, together with the release of Matthew Upson to join Brighton on loan last month, leaves Wilson, Geoff Cameron and Ryan Shotton as the options to play alongside Ryan Shawcross at centre-half at home to West Ham on Saturday.
And Wilson, who only returned to his left-back slot at Fulham on Saturday after four months out with a broken leg, says he is happy to fill the gap.
"I will play anywhere for the team and do a job," said Wilson.
"There was a time at Portsmouth when all the centre-halves were out and I played about 20 games there."
Wilson admits West Ham striker Andy Carroll will be a handful for any centre-half on Saturday when Stoke try to extend their three-point lead over the Hammers.
"He's a good player and a strong boy," he added.
"He will be a challenge, whoever is playing centre-half, and we'll have to set our stall out to mark him right."
Huth's absence will end his record of being the only Stoke player to play every minute of every fixture this season.
It is the second time he has been punished retrospectively following a clash with Upson, when he was still at West Ham, at the Britannia three seasons ago.