Stoke City: John Rudge says Potters want Carlo Nash to stay
STOKE haven't given up hope of out-of-contract keeper Carlo Nash staying with the club.
City's director of football John Rudge confirmed they had offered the 38-year-old a new contract.
Nash is considering his options and made clear his future was not settled when he said via Twitter: "Had another mammoth fitness session. This should stand me in good stead for pre-season, wherever that may be."
Nash played in the final 10 games of Stoke's 2007-08 promotion season from the Championship after displacing Steve Simonsen.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
He had joined Stoke on loan from Wigan, then signed for Everton before rejoining City in the summer of 2010.
He has been behind Asmir Begovic and Thomas Sorensen in the pecking order, and has only made one first-team appearance in his second spell – a 2-1 Carling Cup win over Shrewsbury at the Britannia Stadium in August 2010.
However, he was on the bench when Stoke lost to Manchester City in last year's FA Cup final.
Stoke have been keen to have an experienced third keeper, and Rudge said: "We have offered Carlo a contract.
"He would like to be playing, but he is a good type who has done well for us while he has been here.
"We hope he stays because he is an experienced player who gives us a good battle for places."
Should Stoke fail to agree a new deal with Nash, they will have to decide whether to bring in another goalkeeper as cover or put their faith in 6ft 6in Academy graduate Dale Eve.
The 17-year-old agreed a two-year professional contract at the end of the season after impressing in a first year at Stoke in which he also made his senior debut for Bermuda.
He became Stoke's youngest-ever full international last November when, aged just 16, he played for Bermuda in a World Cup qualifier against Barbados.