Sentinel Playerwatch - Transfer Window Day Ten: A tale of two quotes
TEN days into the transfer window and across the football map, not a creature was stirring not even Redknapp.
It is as good a time as any, then, to have a look at the anatomy of a rumour.
Sentinel Playerwatch in July 2011 reported that Charles Kabore was being linked in France to becoming the first Charles to sign for Stoke City since former Sandbach Ramblers forward Charles Hallam, who left the club in 1926 – although the French press left out the bit about Hallam.
Fast forward 18 months and Burkina Faso international midfielder Kabore, still at Marseille, is back in the frame, courtesy of Sky Sports and their ever-twitchy gossip columnists.
Call WHITEGATES Today 01782 209935 ..Limited offer. Available only up on production of voucher. Sell your home for £399 plus vat.* #EPC is required to market your home not included in offer.
Terms: *Upfront payment, non-refundable in the event of property remaining unsold, being withdrawn from the market or being sold by another agent, yourself or by any other means.#EPC £62.50 plus vat.
Contact: 01782 209 935
Valid until: Thursday, July 04 2013
The quote attributed to Kabore by Sky, however – "I love English football. I have contacts with some clubs in other leagues, but my priority is to play in the best league in the world" – is somewhat different to the one the 24-year-old gave to local media after his recent game against Guingamp.
Le Phoceen, the French news source which gave us Matthew Upson's proposed move to China last summer, reports Kabore launching into an apparently good-humoured rant when asked about his future.
"So, you're still talking about a departure?" he began. "Every time you ask me.
"Do I transfer to Stoke City? You already asked me the same question last year.
"I have a contract with Marseille until 2015. I'm here, it's been five seasons. I'll go where? If you have a suggestion for me, give it to me. Do you want me to leave or what?"
Another titbit in danger of being lost in translation comes from Playerwatch's favourite Honduran daily newspaper, Diez.
Wilson Palacios's mum, it may be recalled, bumped into then Tottenham-boss Harry Redknapp in London and told him off for not giving the rarely-spotted midfielder more game time.
Now it is his dad Don Eulogio who is getting involved, telling Diez that Palacios is close to linking up with Redknapp again, this time at Queens Park Rangers.
"Everything that is published about several teams wanting Wilson in Mexico is pure speculation," he explains.
"We met with Wilson a few weeks ago in the United States and he said he is not going to go to Mexico, all he will do is change teams in England.
"He's going to leave Stoke City to join the Rangers. This gentleman is interested in bringing him back to his team because he knows him ... and has plans."
Another Stoke man linked with a move, Kenwyne Jones, is widely reported to have caught the eye of Swansea City.
The South Wales Evening Post's Dafydd Pritchard took umbrage when this idea was rubbished on Twitter, saying: "Kenwyne Jones' pugnacious approach might be at odds with Swansea's style, but their interest in him is genuine."
Jones's some-time strike partner Cameron Jerome has also been generating idle talk over the past couple of weeks and was at the centre of a viral Twitter rumour about a move back to Cardiff City.
Not so, according to Cardiff manager Malky Mackay, who has "ruled out a January swoop for the forward" in the South Wales Echo as he favours a move for Bolton's Marvin Sordell.
Tony Pulis is also thought to be considering a swoop on Bolton, but for their winger Lee Chung-yong, according to the Mail.
Finally, in the Evening Standard, Stoke are said to be "considering an offer of £2m" for 23-year-old Crystal Palace winger Yannick Bolasie, who has "been spoken about in some circles as an even better talent than Wilfried Zaha, having made a huge impression since joining from Bristol City last year".
Wigan, Newcastle and Tottenham are said to monitoring the situation.