Plans to attract big earners to Stoke-on-Trent move a step closure
ATTEMPTS to attract more big earners to the city have moved a step closer after plans for a custom-designed housing development were submitted.
Stoke-on-Trent City Council is selling 22 plots in two locations to people looking to put up their dream homes.
An outline planning application for one of the sites, at Wilson Road, Hanford, has now been lodged with the authority.
Up to 13 plots would be made available at the site, with the rest earmarked for Penkhull Farm in Penkhull.
GET READY FOR SUMMER WITH A GOLDEN SPRAY TAN .
WHETHER YOU WANT A NATURAL GLOW OR A DEEP BRONZE, COME AND GET YOUR TAN AT KEIDO HAIR AND BEAUTY.
£17 OR 2 FOR £25.50
Terms: QUOTE SPRAY TAN WEB OFFER WHEN BOOKING IN
Contact: 01782 917918
Valid until: Saturday, August 31 2013
Plots costing from £35,000 would be sold to buyers who would work with developers and builders to design their home.
The custom home scheme is part of a city council drive to persuade big earners to live in Stoke-on-Trent.
The application states: "The intention is to create the character of a village green, with each plot's main entrance facing onto the street."
The plots all have large front and back gardens and it is envisaged they will house two-storey, detached four or five-bedroom homes.
Many of the city's top earners, including all of the city council's top officers, choose to live outside the city boundaries.
The site is currently used for grazing horses, but was previously farmland.
It is being promoted by the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA), which would select a developer for the scheme if the application is successful.
The planning application adds: "The proposed development at Wilson Road supports the Government's aspirations for the delivery of custom build housing throughout the UK… and will contribute towards improving the choice of housing and will provide additional self-build opportunities in Stoke-on-Trent."
Residents near the planned development site are concerned about the impact it would have.
Harry Rogerson, aged 63, of Wilson Road, said: "It's the build your own design we're not happy with. If the plots are sold off individually it could take years."
James McGraw's house in Balmoral Close backs on to the proposed development site. The 61-year-old said: "Any houses built there, even if they were single storey, would overlook our property. These are going to be double or even triple storey houses.
"Also because they would be individually designed houses they could be of any type – it's an unknown entity."
Neighbour Ray Parkes, of Balmoral Close, added: "The houses would be bang up against my hedge. It will obliterate my light and spoil my quality of life."