Newcastle kidnapper jailed for mugging teen
CHILD abductor Daniel Carter attacked a 16-year-old girl in an alleyway – just days after being released from jail.
The 19-year-old grabbed his victim and dragged her along the alley as he demanded her phone.
The terrifying assault was only stopped when three men walked into the passage, in Newcastle, and Carter ran off. He had only been out of prison for a week after serving around half of a 32-month sentence for abducting a 10-year-old girl in Hanley's Central Forest Park in July 2011.
Now Carter has been handed a further 32-month custodial sentence after admitting the attempted robbery in the alley off Silverdale Road, on November 16.
Panasonic Store Camera•20x Optical Zoom LEICA DC Lens from 24mm...View details
What Digital camera Gold award winning DMCTZ40
SAVE £20 off our store price ONLY with this voucher
Plus you can also claim a SD card or spare battery
Choice of colours, free parking behind store
Terms: Print this voucher and hand in at Panasonic Store Hanley to save £20 off our store price ONLY £269.90
Contact: 01782 342609
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court heard Carter had met his probation officer just 30 minutes before the attempted mugging. He had blood on his arms after trying to self-harm, but refused any first aid.
David Bennett, prosecuting, said: "He said, 'Give me your phone or I will kill you'. The defendant dragged the girl back for more than 10 feet before three men walked down the alleyway, realised something was wrong and intervened. The defendant ran off."
The frightened victim was left with a sore neck and had Carter's blood on her arms and clothes.
Carter, who used to live at Albert Street, Newcastle, was arrested soon after, at his father's house.
The court heard he had only been released from a young offenders' institution on November 9.
He had previously dragged a 10-year-old girl into bushes at Central Forest Park and tried to take photos of her. But her dad heard the youngster's screams and intervened.
Jason Holt, mitigating, described Carter as a troubled young man.
Mr Holt added: "He says he struggles when he is out of prison. He has now got to the stage where he finds solace with a custody environment."
Judge Granville Styler told Carter he posed a danger to the public.
Judge Styler said: "This is a serious matter. It was a terrifying incident for this young 16-year-old to be attacked at night by you.
"You have a previous serious matter involving a 10-year-old child who you abducted. You were on licence for that and were only released a few days previously, and this is how you react.
"You pose a danger to the public. This was a second attack on a female child."