Mother and son have lucky escape after Meir kitchen fire
A MOTHER and her son had a lucky escape after a kitchen fire at their Meir home this morning.
Fire fighters from Longton were called to the property on Laski Crescent at 6.50am after a pasta dish, which had been left unattended on the cooker, caught fire.
A Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said the blaze was only noticed by the mother when she happened to walk back downstairs- because both smoke alarms had been taken down.
Longton station manager Ian Housley said: “This incident reinforces two important safety messages – don’t leave cooking unattended and never tamper with or remove smoke alarms.
Call WHITEGATES Today 01782 209935 ..Limited offer. Available only up on production of voucher. Sell your home for £399 plus vat.* #EPC is required to market your home not included in offer.
Terms: *Upfront payment, non-refundable in the event of property remaining unsold, being withdrawn from the market or being sold by another agent, yourself or by any other means.#EPC £62.50 plus vat.
Contact: 01782 209 935
Valid until: Thursday, July 04 2013
"The woman said the alarms had been taken down as they kept bleeping, but she was unaware she could have called us for a free Home Fire Risk Check to rectify this.
“It was incredibly lucky that she happened she spot the smoke when she did, otherwise it could have turned into a severe fire and caused a lot of damage to the property or worse.”
Both the woman and her son were outside the house by the time crews arrived.
Her son received precautionary checks for smoke inhalation and a minor burn to the arm but did not require hospital treatment.
If you think your alarms are faulty call 0800 0241 999 for free advice.