Lit cigarette to blame for fire
A 'CARELESSLY discarded' cigarette sparked a flat fire.
Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus put out the flames at the first-floor flat in Beverley Drive, Bentilee, at 10.50am yesterday.
The man living in the flat called 999 after returning home to discover the fire.
Firefighter Brian Griffiths said: "The fire was caused by a cigarette which had been put in a bin next to an armchair.
"This incident serves as a reminder of the dangers of carelessly discarding cigarettes.
"Fortunately, on this occasion, no-one was injured and the fire damage was contained to the carpet and a few items in the flat. Had the occupier not returned when he did, the outcome may have been far worse."