'Jury is out forever' on death of Middleport woman Kelly Ann Reeks
A WOMAN with a history of clinical depression died from an overdose of tablets and alcohol, an inquest heard.
Kelly Ann Reeks took the tablets in the early hours of January 7.
But despite her partner Becky Wilson's attempts to save her life by making her sick, the 31-year-old was later pronounced dead at a hospital.
An inquest into her death, held at North Staffordshire Coroners' Court in Hartshill yesterday, was told Miss Reeks was diagnosed with clinical depression when she was younger and had harmed herself on about three occasions.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
But those close to her told the inquest they did not suspect she was depressed last Christmas.
Her mother, Carole Reeks, said: "I had no inclination whatsoever. It was well over a year since she had harmed herself previously. With her new life with Becky, I thought she was settling down. She seemed so happy, there was no warning."
But Mrs Reeks received a call at 2.13am on January 7 from Miss Wilson, who told her about the overdose.
Miss Wilson told the inquest she had met Miss Reeks on an internet chat room and they had been together since June 2009.
But she said Miss Reeks had an alcohol problem and they had a 'bit of an argument' on the Thursday, although she seemed okay on the Friday.
"There was no warning of what was going to happen," said Miss Wilson.
Miss Reeks was by the kitchen sink at her partner's Middleport flat when she was found.
Miss Wilson said: "She had already popped the tablets out the packet. She said, 'I am going, I am going, I am gone, I can't do it any more'.
"She was slurring. I was trying to get her to go in the bathroom and make her sick.
"I put my fingers down her throat to try and throw it up.
"I knew I had to phone the ambulance. Her consciousness levels were deteriorating. She just lay on the bathroom floor and did not react to anything."
Paramedics took Miss Reeks to the University Hospital of North Staffordshire, but she was pronounced dead at about 3.30am.
No note was found in the Midwinter Court flat despite Miss Reeks, originally from Gloucester, earlier texting her brother's girlfriend saying she had left one.
Coroner Ian Smith said the cause of death was a medication and alcohol overdose.
"She spent the evening of January 6 drinking cider," said Mr Smith.
"She was found in the kitchen with a handful of tablets and glass of milk. There was a quantity of empty medication on the floor. She was seen to put a quantity of tablets in her mouth and swallow them."
But Mr Smith said he could not be sure Miss Reeks intended to take her life and he recorded an open verdict.
"The jury is out and they remain forever out," added Mr Smith.
Pay your respects to Kelly Ann Reeks below.