Investigators find house fire was sparked by lit cigarette
A 71-YEAR-OLD woman last night remained in hospital eight days after being rescued from a house fire.
Mabel Bailey was taken to hospital after being found collapsed by firefighters at her home in Washington Close, Biddulph, on November 1.
She was last night in a 'stable' condition at a Birmingham hospital.
Now investigators have revealed the fire was caused by a cigarette which had not been properly stubbed out.
Do you have an interview coming up and would like some professional help and support. Contact BlueSky CVs - the local specialist to help and support you!
10% discount off web prices.
Terms: 1 session per person
Contact: 01538 710408
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Firefighter Rob Barber said: "It appears that a lit cigarette was left or dropped on the sofa which was then set on fire.
"Thankfully, the property was fitted with technology which meant we were alerted immediately.
"We were able to get into the property and rescue the woman before the fire was able to progress any further.
"We would advise against smoking on the sofa or in bed as it is very easy to drop off to sleep while you still have a cigarette lit or hot ash could fall unnoticed onto combustible material and start a fire."
Miss Bailey's property is operated by Moorlands Your Housing Group.
Director Martin Stevenson said: "We are in daily contact with her family".