Inquiry into fuel at petrol station after report of contamination
A PETROL station is being investigated by trading standards after a report that contaminated fuel was being sold on a garage forecourt.
Stoke-on-Trent Trading Standards has been called in after a motorist claimed he broke down after filling up at the Murco garage, in Ford Green Road, Smallthorne.
Father-of-three Shane Doyle says he was left stranded at the end of the school run after he filled his car up with unleaded petrol which he claims the AA told him was 70 per cent water.
Shane, aged 31, of High Lane, Burslem, had just dropped off his son and daughter at school when he re-filled his car at the garage on his way to work.
But after spending £30 filling up with petrol he broke down only half a mile down the road with his baby son in the back seat on Tuesday morning.
Telecom manager Shane said: "I was on my way to work and my wife was driving.
"The garage was quite busy at 8.45am when we got there and lots of other people were filling up their vehicles with petrol.
"I had no reason to believe there was a problem."
Shane, who has kept a receipt of his purchase, said: "I must have got half a mile down the road when the engine started chugging.
"It was a brand new car which we only bought in October so I thought it can't be right.
"And then it cut out completely."
Shane and wife Eve were left stranded with their four-month-old son Quinlan in their Vauxhall Zafira on a main road.
Shane pushed the car into a side street until an AA recovery team got out to them.
Shane said that the AA worker advised him the petrol was made up of 70 per cent water and 30 per cent fuel.
Shane added: "I couldn't believe what had happened.
"I had looked under the bonnet and couldn't see a problem."
The car was towed to a friend's garage and the engine was drained, which would usually cost £300.
It is understood that only one pump was suspected to be contaminated and the management team closed it following the complaint.
Garage owner Chris Wardle said: "I have no comment to make while investigations are taking place."
Trading standards officials today confirmed they had received a complaint.
A spokesman said: "We have received a case referral from the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline and will be visiting the trader to carry out further investigation as to whether any contamination of fuel has taken place.
"Should Mr Doyle feel it necessary, we can also offer further assistance and advice for any civil claim he may have."