House fires spark safety warnings
FIREFIGHTERS are warning residents about the dangers of open fires in the home after tackling two blazes.
The fires broke out in Smallthorne and Meir Park earlier this week.
The Smallthorne fire was caused by a poorly-fitted wood-burning stove which sparked a chimney fire in Duddell Road.
Fire crews had earlier tackled a garage fire in Meir Park when hot ashes put in a wheelie bin were still burning and caused a fire which spread to the nearby garage.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Now fire officers are urging residents to make sure their open fires are being used safely.
Head of Risk Reduction Glynn Luznyj said: "Due to the energy costs of gas and electric rising, more people are opting for open fires.
"Fortunately the occupants of the house in Smallthorne were awake and noticed the fire.
" If they had been asleep the incident may have been far more serious as the room could have filled with carbon monoxide which could have killed them. We encourage people to have working smoke alarms."