Hanley bedroom fire started by children while their parents slept
A BEDROOM fire at a Hanley house was started by three children while their parents were asleep, Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Services has revealed.
Firefighters were called to a property on Brunswick Place at 8.35am on Saturday morning, where three children, aged seven, four and two, had woken up and found a gas lighter while their parents were asleep, a spokesman said.
They then took it into their bedroom and set one of the beds alight.
Following the incident, station manager Ian Read issued a stark warning to parents.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
"Luckily the smoke alarms activated and woke up the children’s parents before the fire took hold," he said
“Everyone was safely out of the house on arrival of firefighters from Hanley and the fire hadn’t managed to take hold and was also out on arrival.
"There has been some considerable smoke damage to the property, particularly the affected bedroom so all the children were taken to hospital for precautionary checks but did not require any treatment.
"We would urge parents to ensure all types of lighters and matches are kept out of sight and reach of children, as children can be curious about fire but often do not fully understand the potential serious consequences of playing with fire.”