Florist, 37, killed by overdose of heroin
A 37-YEAR-OLD florist who battled drug problems since his schooldays was found dead in his flat after taking a lethal cocktail of heroin and strong alcohol, an inquest heard.
Robin Szilagyi was discovered slumped at his home in Leek Road, Endon, surrounded by drug paraphernalia along with cider, lager and wine.
The former Biddulph High School pupil was found by his step-father William Harrod on April 3.
Robin, who once worked as a door-to-door gas salesman, had spent the previous weekend with his step-father and mother Elizabeth at the couple’s home in Tunstall Road, Biddulph.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
He was asked to stay over after concerns had been raised about his behaviour by the owner of the hair salon below Croydon-born Robin’s self-contained flat.
On Thursday, March 29, his mother visited him and Robin admitted to her that he had taken heroin.
She said: “On the Saturday he appeared to be pleasant and happy. He said he couldn’t remember about the Thursday. He told me he knew things had to change.”
William, who met Robin’s mother Elizabeth when her son was two years old, drove Robin back to Endon on Sunday.
Robin claimed he was planning to visit the doctors and would also stay with his brother, Alex, who lived in Knowle Street, Stoke.
However, he never went to see his brother and by Tuesday, the family had grown concerned.
Electrical engineer William, who owns the flat where Robin had lived, told the inquest: “I had a spare set of keys for the flat and was able to let myself in.
“When I went in Robin was on a futon and he appeared to have keeled over. I touched him and he felt cold and very stiff.
“I realised he was dead and the hardest thing was then to tell his mother.
“There was a syringe on the table and I didn’t really look for the alcohol.”
A pathology report found prescribed drugs along with heroin and alcohol in Robin’s system.
Medics said his death was caused by an opiate overdose exacerbated by alcohol.
Police officers called to the scene confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding Robin’s death. A mobile phone found in the flat is still to be analysed.
The inquest heard Robin’s problems with drugs began during his time at high school when he began to take cannabis and magic mushrooms.
He later moved on to heroin, which Alex also used to take.
The pair moved to Brighton in the 1990s to undergo rehabilitation. During their time on the South coast the brothers opened a florists.
After the business closed, Robin returned to North Staffordshire before moving to Thailand in 2007 where he got married.
He returned home in 2009 when his family say he went “downhill”.
Assistant deputy coroner Margaret Jones, who recorded a narrative verdict, said: “He had been involved in drugs from a very young age, starting when he was at school, subject to peer pressure. Its had a devastating affect on his life despite the support of his family.”