Firefighters put out fire at Pointons rendering plant
Firefighters have tackled a blaze at Pointons rendering plant this morning.
Crews from Leek, Longton and Cheadle were called out after a call at 3.50am this morning after reports of a fire in a large silo at the John Pointons & Sons works in Cheddelton.
Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire using two hose reel jets.
Station Manager, Glynn Luznyj said: "Workers had isolated the power prior to evacuating the building and so the fire didn’t spread outside of the silo, although the entire warehouse was smoke logged. Had they not isolated the power the fire had the potential to spread, which would have caused even more damage – this is why we are encouraging businesses to fit sprinkler systems. Sprinkler systems immediately contain fires, minimising the amount of damage, which therefore minimises disruption."
Visiting the Home & Garden show this Sunday?
We will have some exclusive deals for you so make sure you visit our stand and say hello
Terms: With free entry just visit the show at the Moat House hotel Festival Park between 11am and 4pm and pick up a leaflet
Contact: 01782 342609
Valid until: Sunday, June 23 2013
The fire was believed to have been started accidentally by a small piece of metal in the silo causing a spark and setting fire to the bone meal. The last crews left the incident at approximately 5.30am.