Faulty kettle caused Tunstall house fire
MOTHER-OF-TWO Andrea Davies has been left without heating and electricity after a fire at her home.
The 33-year-old was forced to run out of her Tunstall home with her young daughters to escape the kitchen fire.
The blaze, which has been blamed on a faulty kettle, has gutted the family's kitchen.
Now Andrea is still living at her freezing Wilks Street home following Saturday night's fire, while daughters Nakitia, aged eight, and nine-year-old Kiana are staying with their grandmother.
This Sunday between 11am & 4pm with FREE admission at the Moat House Hotel Festival Park we will be exhibiting with some special show offers, the weather forecast isn't good but our deals are
Terms: Visit us or pick up a voucher at the show to be eligible
Contact: 01782 342609
Valid until: Sunday, June 23 2013
Andrea said: "We were all watching TV in the living room when my eldest daughter said she could smell smoke.
"I saw smoke coming through the kitchen door and when I opened it, I saw the flames.
"I told them to immediately leave through the front door and then all the lights and the smoke alarm went off.
"I saw that the chip pan had caught fire so I tried to put it out by throwing wet towels over it.
"However, the smoke became too much and I left through the back door."
The blaze was put out by Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service.
Andrea's landlord is now assessing the damage.
Andrea added: "I can't turn on the cooker to make a hot drink or cook a hot meal to keep myself warm.
"The neighbours have been bringing me cups of tea and meals and I've had to wear my coat all the time. My children have had to go to school in thin jackets, because their winter coats were ruined in the fire.
"My cooker, kettle, chip pan and hairdryer, which I had on top of the cooker, are all damaged. All my cutlery and plates have been ruined as well.
"I don't know how I can afford to replace some of the things that were destroyed, because I'm unemployed. It's lucky we were all awake so no one was hurt."
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service are warning residents about the dangers of kitchen fires after attending dozens of emergencies this year.
A brigade spokesman said: "Kitchen fires seem to be an increasing trend which is a worry for us.
"These types of fires can quite easily result in fatalities."