Crewe heroin addict Martin Kidd found dead with stab wound
A DRUG addict bled to death after stabbing himself in the stomach.
Martin Kidd was found dead in his Crewe flat on December 23 last year, with a single stab wound.
Police ruled out any third-party involvement in the death, and Assistant Deputy Coroner Dr Geoff Roberts yesterday concluded that Newcastle-born Mr Kidd had killed himself.
An inquest, held at Crewe Law Courts, heard that the 43-year-old had been addicted to heroin and crack cocaine since he was in his late 20s.
Panasonic Store Camera•20x Optical Zoom LEICA DC Lens from 24mm...View details
What Digital camera Gold award winning DMCTZ40
SAVE £20 off our store price ONLY with this voucher
Plus you can also claim a SD card or spare battery
Choice of colours, free parking behind store
Terms: Print this voucher and hand in at Panasonic Store Hanley to save £20 off our store price ONLY £269.90
Contact: 01782 342609
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
He had sought help from Central Cheshire Drugs Service and had been prescribed methadone to help him reduce his drug use.
But clinical nurse specialist Nerys Griffiths told the inquest that Mr Kidd had been unwilling to completely give up drugs.
She said: "He wasn't very good at keeping appointments. So when he came for his methadone prescription he was only allowed two weeks' worth, so he would have to come back every two weeks."
Mr Kidd, of Brooklyn Street, Crewe, last accessed the drugs service on December 17, which was also the day he was last seen by his family.
Sister Janet Cornes said: "He came up to my house on Saturday. He seemed fine, and said he'd see us again on Wednesday. I tried to call him in the week, but he had his phone switched off. My mum went to his flat but there was no reply. She had a key for the door, but he'd locked it from the inside."
The drugs service asked the police to carry out a welfare check on December 23, and after forcing their way into the flat the officers found Mr Kidd's body.
A post-mortem examination revealed he had bled to death.