Bentilee grandmother refuses to move back into council home after kitchen blaze horror
GRANDMOTHER-OF-FIVE Dawn Price is refusing to move back into her fire-hit council house after blaming a 'faulty' electric box for a kitchen blaze.
The 49-year-old has lost most of her possessions in the fire at her Bentilee home.
She says the fire started in an electric meter which she claims has been repaired three times by the city council in eight years.
Now Dawn is living with a friend after demanding to be re-housed.
Visiting the Home & Garden show this Sunday?
We will have some exclusive deals for you so make sure you visit our stand and say hello
Terms: With free entry just visit the show at the Moat House hotel Festival Park between 11am and 4pm and pick up a leaflet
Contact: 01782 342609
Valid until: Sunday, June 23 2013
Dawn, who lived at the three-bedroom property in Middlefield Road with 19-year-old son Chris Walters, said: "I have lost virtually everything because of the smoke damage.
"There have been problems with the house in the past and faults with the electric box and now this has happened."
Firefighters from Hanley and Longton were called to the blaze at 12.50pm on November 12.
Investigations have found the fire started accidentally, although it is not known whether the electric meter was to blame.
Dawn added: "I had gone out to the shop for an elderly relative and when I was heading back my other son, Mark, called and said there was a fire at the house.
"When we turned the corner there were fire engines and an ambulance. There was black smoke coming out of the house and I just couldn't believe it was happening."
Since the fire Dawn has been living with a friend in Bucknall, while Chris is staying with a relative in Bentilee.
Dawn suffers from a twisted spine following an assault 20 years ago and her Bentilee home was fitted with a stairlift and a modified bathroom.
Dawn added: "The council has asked me if I would go back to the house but I have said no, as I just wouldn't feel safe there again after what has happened.
"The council offered me what seemed to be a bedsit in Stoke but it isn't suitable.
"I have lost virtually everything, including things which had a lot of sentimental value, and I cannot stay in the old house.
"I need somewhere that will be suitable for my requirements as I have difficulty getting around and because of my condition I am in constant pain."
Former Mitchell High School pupil Chris added: "The Red Cross has given us some clothes to keep us going but we just want a house to live in."
The city council confirmed it is investigating the matter and will contact Dawn directly.