90-year-old Meir man taken to hospital after accidentally lighting electric fire
A 90-YEAR-OLD man has been taken to hospital after accidentally lighting his electric fire.
Fire crews were called to the man’s Grangewood Road home in Meir in the early hours of this morning, where they found the property heavily smoke logged.
Station Manager Ian Housley said the man is thought to have attempted to light the fire’s artificial coals, believing them to be real.
“We believe he lit some paper and put it on top of the plastic coals which eventually set fire to the display, causing heavy smoke logging,” Mr Housley said.
Call WHITEGATES Today 01782 209935 ..Limited offer. Available only up on production of voucher. Sell your home for £399 plus vat.* #EPC is required to market your home not included in offer.
Terms: *Upfront payment, non-refundable in the event of property remaining unsold, being withdrawn from the market or being sold by another agent, yourself or by any other means.#EPC £62.50 plus vat
Contact: 01782 209 935
Valid until: Thursday, July 04 2013
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service had carried out a free Home Fire Risk Check at the property in July, where it was recommended assisted technology was fitted and linked to the smoke alarms.
The man managed to ask for the fire service when his smoke alarms automatically alerted the lifeline facility installed in his home.
His pet dog was also rescued from the house and the property was ventilated before crews left at around 4.30am.
Mr Housley added: “We would urge anyone who has not had a free Home Fire Risk Check, particularly the elderly members of our community, to call us for free on 0800 0241 999 and book one now.
“Alternatively, if you’re concerned about an elderly family member, friend or neighbour you can contact us with their permission on their behalf and arrange a free visit that could just save their life.”